null Registration of a used vehicle purchased in Poland


New registration plates in Mazowsze
The Mazowieckie Voivodeship is running out of registration plates with the designation "W" (e.g. WX 12345). Until the pool of such plates is exhausted, we will continue to register cars with numbers that begin with the letter "W".
The Minister of Infrastructure has assigned us a new designation mark "A" (e.g. AX 12345). From January 2023, we will issue new registration plates, beginning with the letter "A" for vehicles with reduced registration plates. 
[§] Legal basis: sec. 27 item 3 and sec. 31 item 3 of the 31 August 2022 Regulation of the Minister of Infrastructure on the registration and marking of vehicles, requirements for registration plates and templates of other documents related to vehicle registration (Journal of Laws of 2022, item 1847).


From February 1, 2022, by submitting an application for re-registration of a used vehicle purchased in Poland, you can stay with the existing registration number. Prerequisite – the plates must be white and have EU stars on a blue background. Remember also that the plates must be readable, i.e. kept in proper condition and not bent. If the license plate of the vehicle purchased does not meet these conditions, we will have to re-register your car with new numbers, which will result in a higher fee. 

Did you buy a used vehicle? You have 30 days to notify us of your purchase. If you do not comply, we will impose a penalty from PLN 200 to PLN 1000. Due to COVID-19, the deadline has been extended to 60 days. For details, please refer to the information sheet "Notification of purchase of a vehicle".

Did you sell your car? You have 30 days to notify us of the disposal of the vehicle. If you do not comply, we will impose a penalty from PLN 200 to PLN 1000. Due to COVID-19, the deadline has been extended to 60 days. Detailed information can be found in the information sheet "Notice of disposal of a registered vehicle".


As a reminder:

  1. heavy goods vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tonnes;
  2. road tractors and ballast tractors designed for use with a semi-trailer or a trailer with a maximum admissible vehicle combination mass exceeding 3,5 tonnes;
  3. trailers and semi-trailers which, together with the motor vehicle, have a maximum admissible mass of over 7 tonnes, with the exception of those related exclusively to agricultural activities carried out by an agricultural tax payer;
  4. buses,

are subject to tax on means of transport. 

You have 14 days to complete and file your tax return. You can do this in one of the following ways:

  1. Use the user-friendly tax form wizards available on the Moja Warszawa website:
  2. If you have a trusted profile: create an account on the site, sign in, and submit the form.
  3. If you do not have a trusted profile: 
    1. print and sign the form, 
    2. or fill out a handwritten form that you can obtain from the district office.
  4. Forward the form traditionally:
    1. directly in the Resident Services Department in your district or in our headquarters at ul. Obozowa 57 – 1st floor
    2. via post to the correspondence address: Urząd Warszawy – Centrum Obsługi Podatnika, Al. Jerozolimskie 44, 00-024 Warszawa.

You can find more information, including the declaration form and an annex to the declaration, in the information sheet COP/01/02/K.

Step-by-step guide

Polish translationRussian translationUkrainian translation



  1. Download, print and fill in the application form and the consent1. Application forms are also available at our office.
  2. Attach the required supporting documents (originals).
  3. Remember to take your ID Card with you.
  4. Go to your District Office competent for the place of residence (registered office), submit the application with attachments and the appropriate fee. 
  5. You can book your visit with the Office using Warsaw's booking system (click Remember that booking one appointment only entitles you to do one thing  for example register one vehicle.
  6. If the vehicle is co-owned, we require the presence of all co-owners or you must have power of attorney granted by them (authorisation template). 
  7. The employee will confirm in the system of your permanent or temporary residence. If you do not have a residency registration, you must provide another document that we will verify during our service. Each such case will be considered on an individual basis. 
  8. You will be issued a decision on temporary vehicle registration, together with a temporary permit valid for a period of up to 30 days, number plates.
  9. Update your vehicle’s third-party-liability insurance.
  10. Collect your decision on vehicle registration, together with the registration certificate, before the temporary permit expires. You can obtain information on the availability of your registration certificate at an appropriate office, or on On collecting your registration certificate, return your temporary permit and present a valid third-party-liability insurance policy.

For more information on your rights related to the processing of your personal data for the purposes of the registration procedure under the provisions of GDPR, use this link.


1 If you consent to the processing of contact details. 

The required documents

  1. The vehicle owner’s application to register a vehicle.
  2. Consent to the processing of personal data.
  3. Proof of vehicle ownership (proof of vehicle ownership may include one of the following documents: a VAT invoice confirming the purchase of the vehicle, a sales contract, a property exchange contract, a gift agreement, an annuity agreement, a final and binding court judgement on ownership rights), transfer agreement, e.g. a bank transfer agreement, original transfer agreement with a statement of return transfer of ownership and a statement of total debt repayment).
  4. Vehicle’s registration certificate with an up-to-date technical inspection.
  5. Registration plates.
  6. A document confirming a power of attorney, if an attorney has been appointed in the case (template power of attorney).
  7. If a natural person is the vehicle owner, an identity document is required, i.e. an identity card or another document with a photograph confirming identity (available for inspection).
  8. If a legal person is the vehicle owner, a current extract from the National Court Register is required (available for inspection). Only persons who are authorised to represent the legal person may arrange matters related to vehicle registration.

If the vehicle owners are foreigners staying in the Republic of Poland, foreign companies or cultural centres, foundations or press correspondents, they must submit:

  1. A foreigner’s identity document, a passport, and one of the following documents, together with a certificate confirming temporary residence:
    1. A Schengen visa or a national visa,
    2. A residence card issued in relation to granting a temporary residence permit,
    3. A residence certificate issued to an EU national,
    4. A family-member residence card issued to an EU national,
    5. A document confirming EU-national’s permanent residence right,
    6. A permanent residence card issued to an EU-national’s family member,
    7. A residence card issued in relation to granting a permanent residence permit, an EU long-term resident card, granting refugee status, granting subsidiary protection or a tolerated stay permit.
  2. A certificate of registration with the Registry of Representative Offices of Foreign Enterprises issued by the Minister of Economy, or a current extract from the National Court Register for a branch of a foreign enterprise (available for inspection) for foreign companies. For cultural centres, foundations, press correspondents – international contracts, certificates issued by embassies, accreditations (available for inspection).


  1. You may make payments for transport-related matters via bank transfer or postal order (click on the link “rachunek bankowy (bank account)” to the bank account of the City of Warsaw for the appropriate district office, or in cash directly at the cash desk of the District Office which is responsible for handling your case.
  • In the payment reference please enter vehicle make, model and registration number, and if there is no registration number, provide the vehicle’s VIN number.

Transport fee for the issuance of


Trailer /

semi-trailer /

agricultural tractor



Regular number plates

PLN 80.00

PLN 40.00

PLN 40.00

PLN 30.00

Private number plates

PLN 1000.00    


PLN 500.00    


Registration certificate

PLN 54.00

PLN 54.00

PLN 54.00

PLN 54.00

Temporary permit

PLN 13.50

PLN 13.50

PLN 13.50

PLN 13.50

Validation sticker

PLN 12.50

PLN 12.50

PLN 12.50

PLN 12.50

TOTAL (for regular number plates)

PLN 160.00

PLN 120.00

PLN 120.00

PLN 110.00    

TOTAL (in the case of leaving the available registration

plates along with the issue of a temporary permit)*

PLN 80.00

PLN 80.00

PLN 80.00

PLN 80.00

TOTAL (for private number plates

PLN 1080.00


PLN 580.00


Re-registration of the vehicle with the existing registration number

without issuing a temporary permit**

PLN 66,50 PLN 66,50 PLN 66,50 PLN 66,50

* this refers to white, undamaged registration plates issued by the City of Warsaw.

**applies to white, undamaged registration plates with EU asterisks on a blue background, issued by Polish registration authorities.

  1. PLN 17.00 – stamp duty for filing a power of attorney.
  • Stamp duty for a power of attorney may be paid via bank transfer or postal order to the bank account (link “rachunek bankowy (bank account) or in any cash desk of the City of Warsaw.
  • The stamp duty for filing a power of attorney does not refer to powers of attorney provided to spouses, descendants, ascendants or siblings.

Where to submit and collect documents

The responsible entity

Reply waiting times

  1. Immediate reply – in cases which do not require collecting evidence, information, or clarifications.
  2. Up to one month – in cases which require an investigation procedure.
  3. Up to two months – in cases with a high degree of complexity.

Appeals procedure

You may appeal against the decision with the Local-Government Appeals Court within 14 days of receiving the decision via the issuing body.


  1. From 1 February 2022, the applicant for a vehicle registration may apply for retaining the existing registration number, including license plates, if the vehicle was already registered in the territory of the Republic of Poland and has white license plates with EU stars. In addition, the plates must be readable and kept in proper condition. In such a case, the head of a county, when registering the vehicle, issues a decision on the registration of the vehicle and a registration certificate and legalizes the existing registration plates (license plates). If the registration plates do not meet the above requirements, they are replaced, i.e. the vehicle will be re-registered to new numbers. 
  2. The owner of the registered vehicle is obliged to notify the head of the county within 30 days about the purchase (details can be found in information sheet AO/05/31/K) or disposal of the vehicle (details can be found in information sheet AO/05/15/K). A failure to notify of the purchase or sale of the vehicle within the statutory period results in a penalty of PLN 200 to PLN 1,000. 
  3. The obligation to present the registration card and plates does not apply to a registered vehicle purchased from the Police, the Internal Security Agency, the Foreign Intelligence Agency, the Central Anti-Corruption Bureau, the Border Guard, the Military Counterintelligence Service, the Military Intelligence Service, the Armed Forces of the Republic of Poland and the Customs Service.
  4. If the data of the transferor of the vehicle is not consistent with the data contained in the registration certificate the application for vehicle registration should be accompanied by all documents confirming the transfer of ownership.
  5. Authorities responsible for vehicle registration are obliged to verify that the motor vehicle keepers have fulfilled the requirement of taking out a third-party liability insurance policy (failure to present a valid third-party liability policy does not mean that your application will be rejected, but the Insurance Guarantee Fund will be notified that the document has not been submitted).
  6. Natural and legal persons who are owners of large goods vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of over 3.5 tonnes, tractor units or ballast tractors with a gross combination weight of over 3.5 tonnes, trailers or semi-trailers with a gross vehicle weight of over 7 tonnes with a motor vehicle, and buses, are obliged to pay vehicle tax. The tax may be paid at the office of the district administrating the place of residence of an individual or the registered office of a company or at the Taxpayer Service Center at ul. 57 Obozowa St. in Warsaw or by bank transfer to the bank account number (details of this tax can be found in the information sheet COP/01/02/K). 
  7. If a foreigner or a branch / representative office of a foreign company is the owner of the aforementioned vehicles, tax payments should be made at the appropriate District Office according to the foreigner’s place of residence or the registered office of the branch or a representative office of the foreign company.

The above information is general, and arises from the applicable legal regulations.
In individual cases, you might be required to provide additional documents or clarifications.

Legal basis